As a directionless noob in this game, I want to understand the game plans of some more seasoned veterans. Once you guys get to the GCs, what are some things that you always do/things you look out for? As of now, I have not yet reached the bottom of the GCs, and nearly all of past deaths have been from random ass golems made from strong materials one shotting me.
I might not be the best to answer this because I tend to die often too, but...
* Don't try to kill everything. Run from anything scary, or teleport/web it with a wand and then run away.
* Don't try to melee everything. Zap wands at dangerous monsters. Also zap wands at annoying monsters (sirens...)
* Always have a wand of teleportation ready in your inventory. It will save your life when you get cornered or critted.
* Always stash additional wands into a chest, or they will explode in your face.
* Don't stay in a fight if any of your body parts becomes bright red. Run/teleport away and heal, then return to finish the job. It's better to "waste" some healing/teleportation than to die.
* Golems are tough, but don't see invisible. Use your wands of invisibility. They are also slow. Use run command, then hit them once, move away and wait until they step next to you, rinse and repeat. With enough Agi, they won't even get a hit in.
* Sometimes it's better to just teleport past Enner and leave him be. Also ghosts are immune to Enner screams, so you could polymorph into one.
* Zombie level is much easier with invisibility.
* Mystic dark frogs must be killed as fast as possible, just teleport to them and zap them.
* Never ever let Elpuri to touch you.
Additionally, I happened upon not one, but two scrolls of body switch. From what I gleaned, it seems to be pretty damn powerful, but I'm not sure what I should morph into, if at all right now. Any insights towards how to maximize the scroll's potential would be much appreciated.
The scroll uses the same check as a scroll of taming, so you can possess same creatures that you could tame. That means uniques are immune, but otherwise with higher Cha you can become nearly anything.
If you get it early, you might want to possess something with high Int, so that it's easier to harden/change materials and so that you can train your Int higher. Otherwise all mistresses make good bodies, because they have high stats, but are not that hard to tame.
Don't possess animals. They can't read and some can't even open doors.