Armor is anything you can wear that protects you from harm, i.e. things that are sharp/poisonous/hot/go bump and cause lethal damage.
You can check the extended statistics of every piece of armor in your inventory:
Here you have an Armor of Great Health equipped in the body armor slot, where
- it is enchanted up to +7,
- it weights 1000 grams,
- it has Armor Value (AV) of 13.
Armor value is a number that tells just how well a particular piece of armor will protect you. Higher values obviously mean better damage reduction. However, note that even a bad armor is better than none, because having any armor equipped in a slot greatly reduces the rick of critical hits against the given body part.
Types of Armor
There are a few ways to increase or decrease the AV of your armor:
- Harden or change the item's material.
- Use scroll of enchant armor.
- Your armor being torn or broken in combat decreases the AV significantly and any ability enhancement is lost until the item is repaired.
- Also, spellcasting enemies can disenchant your armor (or soften its material, in CLIVAN only).
Some armor pieces will be enchanted to magically enhance or hinder a particular attribute. These will be clearly labeled with a statement such as "...of dexterity". The enchantment levels works the same as for AV, but if the item is torn or broken the enhancement will be ineffective until fixed with a scroll of repair or at a particular shop.