Newbie beat the game!

Feb 8, 2009, 1:18 pm
#1
Joined: Feb 8, 2009
Posts: 4
Hi!

I managed to beat the game and made it to the honor roll.
I'm somewhat new to IVAN (playing for a week or so) altho I've played nethack for almost a year and still not beaten it (bad luck I guess).

I dont feel being too lucky on this character. The first good item I found was the bronze thunder hammer and Turox on GC 1 and 3 not to mention all the nesessary res items and wands.

I was able to only pray Infuscor who granted me ESP/poly/telecontroll and 3 tele scrolls always when I prayed (not so good god imo). In some point he suddently got pissed at me and I started to pray to Dulcis(?!?!?!)[even worse god] who made me champion near the end.

I got to wish twice. first I got my AoLS and then wand of cloning. I started "pumping" my gear when I hit 25 int to a point I couldnt upgrade anything further with no means possible.

The spoilers were usefull help. Best tip was the god tip. Best luck to your adventures!
Feb 8, 2009, 1:41 pm
#2
capristo's avatar
The Imperialist


Joined: Dec 2, 2007
Location: New Attnam
Interests: bananas
Posts: 2,148
Cool, congrats and welcome aboard how did you kill Elpuri??
Feb 8, 2009, 2:59 pm
#3
Bored One's avatar
The Lord of the Sims


Joined: Dec 15, 2007
Posts: 610
Congratulations!

Now get one of the better endings
Feb 8, 2009, 3:03 pm
#4
Joined: Feb 8, 2009
Posts: 4
Elpuri was a piece of cake. Hitted him for around 10 times with my meteoric thunder hammer +8 and turox +7 and thats it. The only thing from which I took damage in the end was pretty much just critical hits from valpurium golems
Feb 8, 2009, 3:11 pm
#5
Ernomouse's avatar
Master mine stomper


Joined: Dec 16, 2007
Occupation: Pouring molten bronze in sand
Location: In the cold end
Posts: 2,047
Dammit, you beat my prized victory for good! >=E

No seriously, good job!
Feb 8, 2009, 4:11 pm
#6
Ischaldirh's avatar
Ex-Tyrant of the IVANers


Joined: Dec 8, 2007
Occupation: Junior Specialist Researcher
Location: California
Interests: (Astro)Physics, Exoplanets, Singing praise to Valpurus while smashing skulls with a bloody warhammer, Jogging
Posts: 2,833
Damn, playing for a week and you already won? It took me what, two years? Three years?
Congrats!
Feb 8, 2009, 4:20 pm
#7
capristo's avatar
The Imperialist


Joined: Dec 2, 2007
Location: New Attnam
Interests: bananas
Posts: 2,148
Atomic wrote
Damn, playing for a week and you already won? It took me what, two years? Three years?
Congrats!
I just noticed that. I think it took me a couple years too
Feb 8, 2009, 4:57 pm
#8
Joined: Feb 8, 2009
Posts: 4
Well the fact I beat the game so quick is 90% that I learned fast from my deaths. I also found out pretty fast which items are nesessary for victory. The rest 10% are just being extra carefull that I learned from nethack
Feb 9, 2009, 7:16 pm
#9
Joined: Dec 2, 2007
Occupation: Big Daddy
Location: Under a pile of my own offspring
Interests: Caves
Posts: 612
Hey Congrats,

I've never actually played nethack perhaps I should try it someday.

Try killing petrus next. You might find it is much more challenging and of course beyond the portal is even 10X harder.

Did you use artificial or atural limbs??
Feb 10, 2009, 6:35 am
#10
Joined: Dec 3, 2007
Occupation: Chaos Weaver
Location: Standing between all life and death
Posts: 2,826
Very nice! Looks like a hero in the making to me
Feb 10, 2009, 11:41 am
#11
Joined: Mar 21, 2008
Location: Your ears!
Posts: 209
Congratulations! I'd never have guessed NetHack experiences can translate that well into IVAN.

My previous incarnations murdered mercilessly by the arcanite golem are jealous of you
Feb 18, 2009, 5:12 pm
#12
Comrade's avatar
skeleton warrior


Joined: Apr 7, 2008
Location: USSR
Posts: 258
Nice job, i still havent beat the game without cheating, i have one question, what is AoLS?
Feb 18, 2009, 6:46 pm
#13
Ischaldirh's avatar
Ex-Tyrant of the IVANers


Joined: Dec 8, 2007
Occupation: Junior Specialist Researcher
Location: California
Interests: (Astro)Physics, Exoplanets, Singing praise to Valpurus while smashing skulls with a bloody warhammer, Jogging
Posts: 2,833
Amulet of Life Saving. Very handy item to have. When I won, I needed two of them, and that was just to get from GC to Attnam with Elpuri's head.
Feb 22, 2009, 4:43 pm
#14
Joined: Feb 8, 2009
Posts: 4
I had to use artificial limbs yeah. made me a lot stronger. I found a portal at the end, but I didn't know how to enter it so I just happily delivered the head without knowing whats beyond the portal. Must try it!
Feb 22, 2009, 5:34 pm
#15
capristo's avatar
The Imperialist


Joined: Dec 2, 2007
Location: New Attnam
Interests: bananas
Posts: 2,148
You enter the portal the same way you go down staircases: >
Feb 23, 2009, 3:00 pm
#16
Joined: Dec 2, 2007
Occupation: Big Daddy
Location: Under a pile of my own offspring
Interests: Caves
Posts: 612
Except that once you are down there is no going back until you get to Oree.
Jump to