Since I'm currently actively working on this project again, and the programming is coming along even more smoothly than I could imagine, I was wondering if you guys want me to update my progress once in a while. It depends on wether you're interested in the progress I'm making, and the stuff I learn about the IVAN mechanics along the way.
Anyways, just so you know, this is what I have so far:
- When starting the game, my randomlevelgenerator generates a level, currently this is always the same level: a giant square room for testing and debugging.
- The game screen itself shows the entire level, made up of the same floor and wall tile all over. Materials are not being used as of yet. The player character is visible, always in the middle of the screen, with the map 'moving beneath his feet', personally I like this more (and it's easier to program
). The character is always the same picture, so I'm not using a combination of different bodyparts with the right colors and stuff as of yet.
- Possible actions are walking around with the arrow keys, the walls blocking your progress. Engraving squares on the level. Picking up items.
- As picking up items is a possible action, naturally items are available, and can be placed randomly on the level. For testing, only one item is used at the moment, with the only variable being that the item is of a certain type (i.e. a helmet).
- The bar showing the name of the player is fully functional.
- The message panel is fully functional too: basically, at the moment it shows a message when walking over an item, or an engraving.
- The ragdoll is visible, currently directly connected to the Endurance stat, because I don't have the right calculations for HP yet. Changing endurance changes the ragdoll.
- The basic stats are also visible (i.e. AStr, LStr, Dex, Agi, End, Per, Int, Wis, Cha, Siz).
I don't know if you guys know a lot about programming, but I can tell you this has already been a fair deal of work, and I'm quite happy with the results.
At the moment, I'm thinking about what to add next.