Could IVAN bats behave similarly?
I actually just recently tried to replicate this behaviour in my dev branch.
We'll see if it turns out OK.
But in general, I'd be for some improvements to enemy AI and them being more smart in combat. Of course, we need to make sure they're not so smart it becomes too hard for the player.
Some other improvements off the top of my head:
* When there's space, mobs should try to encircle the player and not stand in a line and wait for their turn to be murdered.
* Some A* pathfinding would be great.
* Once we have throwing mobs or ranged weapons, shoot-and-run mob would be nice, as you mentioned.
* Mobs picking up and using wands. Some already can use wands, but they won't pick them up, AFAIK. This needs to be carefully balanced, because wands are deadly and we don't want kobolds in UT1 blowing the player to smithereens.
* Mobs picking up potions and waiting to sip them when they're hurt. Now they just drink them when they find them.