Shortly after playing the new release and getting a good run, I wanted to save quit for the day, and I accidentally terminated my game as I quit. Then after my quick ire, I when to look around in the game files, something I've done a fair bit. I even replaced a lot of sounds with my own, like a Willhelm scream on the generic hit five sound effects. I also made the mace a flanged mace instead, because I think they look cooler and work better in real life. So when I opened the script with notepad++, oh boy what I did with those files.
I started with giving myself crazy armor and weapons like Pepsi sword and chain mail. My brother got interested with Ivan for the first time and asked me to mod the player character stats to be like a different species. After a lengthy bit of testing, I came to an unusual concussion with the stats in the game.
Leg and Arm Strength was seen to scale linearly, Endurance interestingly seemed to be exponential, and Dexterity, Agility, and Perception seemed to diminish or cap out in many ways.
Agility never seemed to prevent blows, even at ludicrous levels like over five hundred, same thing for blocking rate with Dexterity. Perception didn't spot traps significantly better than at normal levels.
Also, magic resistance does cap out.
I'm not sure if this is indeed the case with the formulas, but this makes his character not work as he wants a cat-man rouge that doesn't use armor.
Thus my brother and I are giving it a shot at modding the game files for real. My brother is pretty skilled with modding and for me not so much for me, but I have a few ideas and want to share them with you guys.
* How hard is it to add new creatures or humanoids to the game?
* How do my sprites look? If you like them, would you have any requests?
* I want to remake the chest armor to look more 3D.
* I also want to change the gloves and boots to cover the whole arms shoulders and legs instead. For the belts, I wanted to change them to a piece of armor that covers their groin.
* I think full helms should decrease Perception significantly, about ninety percent or less.
* I want to make armor much realistic by having much higher DV and has a more significant stat penalty. In turn, I want weapons and material hardness to matter much more when dealing with blocking damage: for example, a steel sword cutting through copper armor after a few solid hits.
* I also want these three damage types.
1. Slashing does the most damage, but it's weak vs. all armor.
2. Stabbing works well vs. flexible armor but not rigid armor.
3. Crushing/blunt works well vs. all armor, less so to rigid and least to padded armor. This damage would be the only way to knock out a full plated enemy and go in for the kill with a knife stab.
* It seems like duel-wielding is overpowered, which is why shields and two-handing are unpowered.
* The Long sword is the only sword that has ten roundness instead of fifteen.
* Maces are so huge! I was thinking of making hammers what normal maces are and remaking the current mace.
* Maces aren't good at blocking in real life.
* Where's the poleaxe?
* Whips aren't real weapons but that okay with me for the most part, but a suitable replacement would be a flail.
* I saw a bow in the sprite folder, how hard would it be to add bows to the game?
* If throwing is a skill, is it displaced in the game?
* Perception should be better at spotting traps and at some point, should always succeed.
* Willpower maybe should prevent body part from breaking at zero hit points?
* Charisma could be buffed by talking to the enemy to pacify them or neutral characters to join you.
* Does Mana stat make wands, holy books, or scrolls last longer?
* It would be cool if the player size and weight could change at the start or during the gameplay.
* Wisdom seems rather useless to me if it makes the gods hate you faster at higher levels of Wisdom. Also, I think Wisdom should do more than what it does.
* There's no rubber/insulators in the material list; it would be good for boots to make lighting magic not so dangerous.
* DV should block fire damage.
* I don't think magic resistance should cap out.
* For the overworld much like Zelda II. I think what would be cool if on each title you could explore a randomly generated environment based on the if it forset, grass, sand, or snow. That way, the player doesn't starve when they're out in the wild and wandering the world would have more of a point to it.
* Staffs are terribly heavy/hard to wield.
* Dagger and short swords seem more like short swords and arming swords.
* Wrestling from Dwarf Fortress would be a great add on, especially with the armor changes.
* Armor should be a skill just like weapons to block your weakest spots just like Dwarf Fortress and move around better.
* Why does bone rot?
* While normal axes aren't the best weapons in IRL, they could be suitable for applying to cut through wood walls and chop down trees.
Sorry if this seems like a whole lot of spam, but I think a lot these ideas would cool to add, and I would like to hear what you guys think and or clear up and misconceptions I have.