Today I finally discovered a legitimate
way to cheat during the sumo match, and along with it a way to kill off the audience of the sumo match without any consequences.
And all within the latest release of vanilla IVAN.
The big problem with trying to cheat at sumo wrestling before was that the old devs had thought of basically all the ways you could have cheated or given yourself an unfair advantage during the sumo wrestling match (haste notwithstanding) and had put in safeguards to prevent you from doing so:
- If you sneak in, any items dropped in the arena are automatically cleared out once you leave. This means you can't leave a weapon or wand at the entrance to give you an unfair advantage over Huang Ming Pong.
- The structures inside the sumo arena belong to New Attnam, so setting traps or damaging the walls in any way causes the town to become angry, which in turn means that you will never be able to challenge Huang Ming Pong. This stops you from being able to set traps or consistently/safely leave acid on the floor for Huang to stand in during the fight - breaking a bottle of acid inside the arena is likely to get some on the walls, which means the town will get angry when that wall inevitably melts.
- Not that this is normally ever possible, but attacking the audience, stealing a lantern or damaging the arena will cause you to be instantly disqualified.
However, after a little bit of experimentation I found that once again, gas grenades have proven to be the number one choice for exploiting the game!
The necessary items to cheat at sumo wrestling are as follows:
- At least one mustard gas grenade (the more, the better)
- A way to sneak into the sumo arena (food to lure Huang outside / invisibility)
And to kill off the audience:
- Wand/scrolls of teleportation
- Ring of teleportation control (optional, but useful to ensure you don't get stuck outside the arena)
Once you have collected the appropriate items, follow these steps:
1. Become bloated or overfed.
2. Sneak into the sumo arena.
3. Throw mustard gas at the northern wall - if you want to kill the audience, use your teleportation items to exit the glass arena and gas the southern wall.
4. Exit the arena.
5. Challenge Huang Ming Pong to battle.
6. Watch everyone choke on mustard gas - if you're trying to beat Huang Ming Pong this isn't going to clinch you victory because he'll descend upon you like a raging gorilla and punch your spine out anyway, but now he'll be taking damage every few turns from the mustard gas too. You might also want to try skunk smell grenades to maximize the damage over time.
If you've gassed the audience, victory will trigger the moment one of them dies - the code doesn't care about WHO dies in the sumo arena, just that someone does. Usually this is Kaethos or the child tourist.
Once you've exited the arena, it's likely that all the other audience members will die from mustard gas exposure within a few turns.
This works because much like liquids, gas clouds persist even after you have left a dungeon level.
In addition to that, you are not subject to normal hostility rules during the sumo battle, to facilitate you being able to fight Huang Ming Pong without making the town mad.